Julekaka, a delightful Scandinavian Christmas bread, holds within its warm, fragrant embrace the essence of holiday traditions. With a history as rich as its flavor, this bread is a cherished part of holiday festivities. Originating from the heart of Scandinavia, Julekaka is the embodiment of warmth, togetherness, and the joy of giving. In this recipe, we'll guide you through creating this heartwarming bread that's perfect for holiday gatherings.
- Mixing bowl
- – Baking Sheets
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Kitchen Towel
- – Oven
- 9 – 9 1/2 cups unsifted AP flour 1080 – 1140 g
- 1 1/2 cup sugar 300 g
- 4 packets yeast 28 g
- 1 1/2 tsp salt 9 g
- 1 Tbsp cardamom 7 g
- 1 1/2 cup warm milk 355 ml
- 1 cup warm water 237 ml
- 1 cup butter 227 g
- 1 1/2 cup golden raisins 230 g
- 1 cup diced citron 220 g
- Mix and knead all ingredients (except for raisins and citron) in a large mixing bowl. Knead until you have a smooth and elastic dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rise until it has doubled in bulk, which may take about 1 hour.
- Pat the dough flat and sprinkle it with raisins and citron. Knead gently to distribute the fruit evenly throughout the dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 even-sized portions. Shape each portion into a round loaf and place them on baking sheets.
- Cover the loaves and allow them to rise again until doubled in bulk, which may take approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake the loaves for 28-30 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Allow the Julekaka loaves to cool before slicing and sharing.
Julekaka is a beloved Scandinavian holiday tradition, particularly in Norway and Sweden. Its name translates to “Christmas cake,” and it’s traditionally enjoyed during the Christmas season. The cardamom-scented bread, studded with raisins and citron, is a symbol of sharing and togetherness, making it the perfect addition to festive gatherings. Each bite carries the warmth and nostalgia of holidays spent with loved ones, making Julekaka a cherished part of Scandinavian Christmas celebrations. Share this delightful bread with your family and friends to create your own holiday memories.