Fluffy Yeasted White Sandwich Bread
A delicious, homemade white sandwich bread with a soft, tender crumb and a hint of honey and butter flavor. Perfect for sandwiches and toast.
- loaf pans
- stand mixer
- 4 cups 500g bread flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons 7g active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons 25g granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons 8g salt
- 2 tablespoons 15g non-fat dry milk powder
- 1 cup 240ml warm milk (110°F / 43°C)
- 1/4 cup 60ml warm water
- 1/4 cup 60g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons 30ml honey
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water, active dry yeast, and a pinch of sugar. Allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes until frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread flour, sugar, salt, and non-fat dry milk powder.
- In a separate microwave-safe bowl, warm the milk to 110°F (43°C). Add the softened butter to the warm milk and stir until melted. Mix in the honey.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the dry ingredients and add the milk-butter-honey mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients together to form a dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Add more flour if needed to prevent sticking.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Punch down the risen dough and divide it into two equal portions. Shape each portion into a loaf and place them in greased loaf pans.
- Cover the pans with a towel and let the dough rise again for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove from the oven, let them cool for a few minutes in the pans, then transfer the loaves to a wire rack to cool completely.
Enjoy this homemade bread as the foundation for your favorite sandwiches or toasted with butter and jam. It’s a versatile and delightful addition to your kitchen. Notes: You can customize this bread by adding seeds, oats, or other toppings for extra flavor and texture. Feel free to experiment and make it your own!