By: Henry Hunter
Fall is in the air, and what better way to celebrate the season than with our Yeasted Pumpkin-Shaped Bread? This delightful bread combines the rich aroma of yeast with the earthy warmth of pumpkin. Perfectly shaped like a pumpkin, it’s an excellent addition to our Great Pumpkin Challenge. Let’s get started!
– 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
– 1/4 cup (60 ml) lukewarm water
– 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk, warmed
– 1/4 cup (60 ml) pumpkin puree
– 2 tablespoons (25 g) granulated sugar
– 3 tablespoons (42 g) unsalted butter, melted
– 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
– 3 1/2 cups (420 g) all-purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
– Large mixing bowl
– Baker’s twine
– Round proofing basket or bowl
– Parchment paper
– Cinnamon stick (optional, for the stem)
– Prep: 20 minutes
– Proofing: 2 hours
– Shaping and Final Proofing: 1 hour
– Baking: 25 – 30 minutes
Step 1: Activate the Yeast**
1. In a small bowl, combine the lukewarm water and yeast. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
Step 2: Prepare the Dough**
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix the yeast mixture, warmed milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, melted butter, and salt.
2. Gradually add the flour, spices, and mix until a dough forms.
3. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic.
4. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a damp cloth, and let it rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
Step 3: Shaping Your Pumpkin Bread**
1. Gently deflate the dough and remove it from the bowl onto a lightly floured surface.
2. Shape the dough into a large round ball for the pumpkin body and a smaller ball for the stem.
3. Place the larger dough ball on a piece of parchment paper.
4. Use baker’s twine to wrap it around the dough, creating the pumpkin shape. Tie it securely.
5. Attach the smaller dough ball on top as the stem.
6. Cover the dough with a cloth and let it proof for 1 hour, or until it’s puffy and has increased in size.
Step 4: Baking Your Pumpkin**
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Bake your pumpkin-shaped bread for 25 – 30 minutes or until it’s golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Step 5: Final Presentation**
1. After your pumpkin bread has cooled, you can add a cinnamon stick into the top as a stem for a charming finishing touch.
2. Slice and enjoy your Yeasted Pumpkin-Shaped Bread, a beautiful centerpiece for your fall gatherings.
Our Yeasted Pumpkin-Shaped Bread is not only delicious but also visually stunning. Its pumpkin shape makes it an ideal entry for our Great Pumpkin Challenge. Don’t forget to share your creation with the hashtag #BobsRedMill for a chance to win fantastic prizes. Happy baking and happy autumn! 🍂🎃
Hello, I’m Henry. When I sat down to write this book, I wasn’t driven by a desire for fame or fortune. It was a deeply personal experience, a calling from deep in my spirit.
These thoughts and ideas had been simmering within me for years, and I felt a pressing need to put them into words.
I had no intention of creating just another cookbook though. There are countless recipes readily available on the internet. This book, while filled with its fair share of recipes, is meant to be more than that. It’s a heartfelt exploration, a narrative that delves into the very essence of bread and its profound impact on our civilization.
As I penned each word, it was with a hope that you, the reader, would close the final page with a newfound reverence for the art of breadmaking. This book is my humble attempt to share the deeper story of bread, one that extends far beyond the confines of a kitchen.