By: Henry Hunter
I’m thrilled to share a delightful topic that will add a burst of seasonal goodness to your bread-making adventures. Today, we’re diving into the world of baking with fresh fruits, where we’ll explore the art of incorporating strawberries, blueberries, peaches, cherries, and more into our bread dough. Get ready to elevate your loaves with the perfect balance of sweetness, acidity, and moisture, making each bite a delectable treat.
1. Embrace Seasonal Fruits:
The first step in this fruity bread journey is to embrace the beauty of seasonal fruits. Let’s talk strawberries in the spring, blueberries in the summer, peaches in the late summer, and cherries in the early fall. By incorporating these fresh delights, we not only infuse our loaves with natural sweetness but also celebrate the abundance of each season.
2. Choosing the Right Bread Dough:
Next up, we’ll explore how to select the ideal bread dough that complements the fruits’ flavors. Whether it’s a classic white loaf or a hearty whole-grain bread, the dough should be versatile enough to accentuate the fruit’s taste without overpowering it.
3. Balancing Sweetness and Acidity:
Achieving the right balance of sweetness and acidity is key to creating a harmonious flavor profile. We’ll delve into techniques to ensure the sweetness of the fruits shines through while maintaining a balanced level of acidity to tantalize the taste buds.
4. Managing Moisture Content:
Too much moisture in the bread dough can lead to soggy results, while too little might result in dryness. We’ll walk you through tips and tricks to manage the moisture content when adding fresh fruits to ensure a perfectly moist and tender crumb.
Embracing Seasonal Fruits in Your Bread Recipes
The summer season brings a bounty of luscious and vibrant fruits, and what better way to celebrate their goodness than by incorporating them into your bread baking adventures? From juicy strawberries to succulent berries and blueberries, the possibilities are endless. In this blog post, we’ll explore the art of using seasonal fruits to create delightful bread loaves that will captivate your taste buds and infuse your home with the aroma of summer.
Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with a delightful combination of walnuts and berries in this scrumptious Walnut and Berry Sourdough recipe! This bread boasts a harmonious blend of nutty crunch from walnuts and bursts of sweetness from mixed berries, making it a perfect treat for any time of the day. Let’s dive into the recipe and create a bread that will impress both family and friends.
Walnut and Berry Sourdough Recipe:
- 400g bread flour
- 100g whole wheat flour
- 350g water
- 100g active sourdough starter
- 10g salt
- 50g chopped walnuts
- 100g mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or your favorite combination)
- Autolyse: In a large mixing bowl, combine bread flour, whole wheat flour, and 300g of water. Mix until all the flour is hydrated. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let it rest for 1 hour.
- Starter Incorporation: Add 100g of active sourdough starter to the autolyzed dough, along with the remaining 50g of water. Mix well until fully incorporated.
- Bulk Fermentation: Sprinkle the salt over the dough and knead it in. Cover the bowl and let the dough undergo bulk fermentation for 3-4 hours. Perform a series of stretch-and-folds every 30 minutes during this period.
- Incorporating the Goodness: Gently fold in the chopped walnuts and mixed berries into the dough, ensuring an even distribution.
- Shaping: Transfer the dough to a floured surface and shape it into a round loaf. Place it in a well-floured proofing basket, seam-side up.
- Final Proofing: Cover the dough and let it rest at room temperature for 1-2 hours until it visibly rises and feels airy to the touch.
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C) with a lidded Dutch oven inside for at least 30 minutes.
- Score and Bake: Carefully transfer the proofed loaf into the preheated Dutch oven, seam-side down. Score the top with a sharp knife to allow for expansion during baking. Cover the Dutch oven with the lid.
- Baking: Bake the bread covered for 20 minutes. Then, remove the lid and continue baking for an additional 20-25 minutes until the loaf turns golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Cooling: Once baked, transfer the Walnut and Berry Sourdough to a wire rack and let it cool completely before slicing.
Enjoy your freshly baked Walnut and Berry Sourdough with your favorite spreads, cheeses, or simply on its own. Share the love of baking with Baking Great Bread at Home and inspire others to explore the artistry of sourdough creations!
(Note: For teaspoon measurements, please use standard conversions: 1 teaspoon ≈ 4.7 grams of flour, 1 teaspoon ≈ 5 grams of water, 1 teaspoon ≈ 0.5 grams of salt)
Strawberry Swirl Bread
This delightful Strawberry Swirl Bread recipe beautifully marries the sweetness of ripe strawberries with a tender and fluffy bread dough. The enticing swirls of strawberry goodness will leave you craving more.
- 350g all-purpose flour
- 7g instant yeast
- 50g granulated sugar
- 5g salt
- 120ml warm milk
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 150g fresh strawberries, pureed
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, instant yeast, sugar, and salt.
- Add the warm milk, softened butter, and egg to the dry ingredients. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 8-10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let it rise until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch down the dough and roll it out into a rectangle on a floured surface.
- Spread the strawberry puree evenly over the dough.
- Roll up the dough tightly, starting from the short end, to create a swirl.
- Place the dough in a greased loaf pan and let it rise again until doubled in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Bake the bread for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool before slicing and enjoying the fruity goodness!
Mixed Berry Brioche
This Mixed Berry Brioche recipe combines the rich and buttery goodness of brioche dough with an assortment of summer berries, creating a decadent treat perfect for breakfast or dessert.
- 500g bread flour
- 10g instant yeast
- 75g granulated sugar
- 5g salt
- 200ml warm milk
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 200g mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the bread flour, instant yeast, sugar, and salt.
- Add the warm milk, softened butter, and eggs to the dry ingredients. Mix until a smooth and elastic dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 15 minutes, or until it becomes soft and supple.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let it rise until doubled in size (about 1.5 hours).
- Gently fold in the mixed berries into the dough.
- Divide the dough into equal portions and shape them into brioche buns or a loaf, depending on your preference.
- Place the dough in a greased baking pan, cover with a damp cloth, and let it rise again until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Bake the brioche for 20-25 minutes (or 35-40 minutes for a loaf) until golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow the brioche to cool before serving. Enjoy the delightful bursts of summer berries in every bite!
Choosing the Right Dough for Different Fruit-Inclusions:
For recipes like the Strawberry Swirl Bread, a tender and slightly sweet dough works best to complement the intense sweetness of the strawberries. On the other hand, for the Mixed Berry Brioche, a rich and buttery brioche dough pairs harmoniously with the mixed berries, enhancing their natural flavors. Each type of bread dough is carefully chosen to balance and enhance the flavors of the seasonal fruits, creating a symphony of taste in every slice.
So, let your creativity flow this summer and bring the goodness of seasonal fruits into your bread baking. Whether it’s a delicious swirl bread or a brioche infused with berries, each recipe promises a burst of summer delight!
As a proud baker, I always look for tools that not only make my baking experience better but also give me a sense of pride while using them. And that’s exactly what these bench scrapers from Barlow & Company do for me! 🌟 When I hold one of these handcrafted scrapers in my hands, I can feel the passion and skill that went into making them, and it’s truly special.
These bench scrapers are made from maple, walnut, and cherry wood, which not only makes them functional but also a stunning addition to my kitchen. I’m thrilled to have them on my counter, and they always catch the eyes of my guests! 😍
Now, here’s the best part – I’ve arranged an exclusive 10% discount from Barlow & Company for all of us, the members of Baking Great Bread at Home. Just use my name, HenryHunter, at checkout, and they’ll know you’re part of our awesome baking community. 👉 https://bit.ly/3KiB6Zm