You must try this Berry Crumb Cake Recipe with a buttery crunchy topping, a juicy layer of strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries, and a soft, airy cake. This crumb cake rises beautifully and looks stunning. No one has to know it’s SUPER EASY!
There is a surprising liquid ingredient in this cake which creates light and fluffy forkfuls of cake. I love this crumb cake because it’s very forgiving and you can use a variety of fruit to make it your own; even summer stone fruit like sliced peaches, plums, or cherries… yum! I hope this becomes a new favorite for you.
Club Soda or Seltzer Water in Baking:
Have you tried using sparkling water in baking? The more carbonated the better! The air bubbles make baked goods fluffier along with pancakes, waffles, and batters like tempura. Try your experiments, replacing water with sparkling water/ club soda or seltzer water, and see what happens!
Can I use frozen berries in baking?
•Fresh berries work best for this cake. If you are unable to get all 3 berries fresh, you can sub one of them with frozen but they may be more likely to sink deeper into the cake or discolor the top of the cake.
•You can also use ONLY strawberries, or only blackberries or blueberries, and have it just a single berry cake. It will still be just as delicious.
•If using all frozen berries, it would probably take a little longer to bake but check at 45 minutes for doneness.
How to Test a Cake for Doneness:
Most cake recipes will provide a range for baking times because not all ovens are created equal; some run hotter than others. If you want to ensure you are baking a moist cake, it’s always best to start checking a cake at the earlier time given.
How to tell when a cake is done?
It’s as simple as inserting a toothpick or thin wooden skewer into the center of a cake. You know the cake is done if there are no streaks of wet batter clinging to the toothpick. A few crumbs are ok but not wet batter.
Note: Buy a scale. If you are serious about baking, you need a scale. Weighing your ingredients is much more accurate.
Ingredients for Berry Cake:
• 1/4 cup, 59mL light olive oil ( you may substitute with vegetable oil in a pinch)
• 3 large eggs, room temp ~150g
• 1 cup, 200g granulated sugar
• 2 cups, 240g all-purpose flour, measured carefully
• 2 1/2 tsp, 18g baking powder
• 1 Tbsp lemon zest from 1 large lemon
• 1 tsp, 4g vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup, 79mL seltzer water or club soda
• 10 oz, 300g mixed berries, 2 cups*Ingredients for Crumb Topping:
• 3/4 cup, 96g all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup, 50g granulated sugar• 4 Tbsp, 57g unsalted butter, softened
• 1/4 tsp, 1.5g sea salt
How to Make Berry Crumb Cake Recipe:
• Prep: Preheat the oven to 350˚F, 176° C. Line the bottom of a springform pan with a ring of parchment paper. Grease sides lightly with butter.
• In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer (or stand mixer) beat together eggs and sugar on high speed for 5 minutes until thick. Stir in 1/4 cup olive oil.
• In a separate small bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Add 1/2 flour mixture to the batter, mixing on low speed just until incorporated.
• Stir in 1 Tbsp lemon zest and 1 tsp vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add 1/3 cup club soda, mixing until incorporated
• Add remaining 1/2 of the flour mixture, transfer to the prepared pan, and even out the top with a spatula. Place berries somewhat evenly over the top.How to Make Crumb Topping & Assembly:
• In a medium bowl, combine the crumble topping ingredients. Rub the butter and flour together with your fingertips to create crumbs. Bake 45-50 min. until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Mine was perfect at 48 min and be sure not to over-bake or the cake will turn out dry.